Thursday, March 11, 2010

Southampton "Publick House" Double White


Not content just to check out some white beer, I went for double white. Specifically, Southampton bottling's ( bottling instead of brewery sounds like a red flag to me. ) " Publick House" Double White, from La Crosse, Wisconsin. This is a wheat beer with coriander, orange and lemon peel in the Belgian white style. This pours a pale cloudy yellow, but a bit clearer than the Allagash, hopefully a good sign. A lot of citrus on the nose, with some spice and a hint of caramel. Up front you get some citrus, a tiny bit of spice and yeast. Almost no hop initially then it overwhelms and dominates the finish. I guess it might be o.k. to have one of these, but I don't think I"d want more than that. Also, I fail to imagine any food this beer would pair with. I'm struggling to find a place in my heart for this beer, and I turned to the darkside when I read the back of the label. " Take one taste and you'll agree, Phil ( The Brewer) got it "white"". Wow, that's clever. Actually, it's not, it's fucking stupid and I hate you and your double white horse piss. I want to fly to Wisconsin and kick Phil in the nads.
I'm sorry you all had to hear that. A couple more things . First, the Wisconsonites review of this beer. Hey dehr, we love dis here bier, Cause it's nice and white dehr just like all us, don't ya know. Second, I will return to investigate these white beers further another time , but I think it's time to cleanse the palate. So I'm going back to black. Here's to some Bigger flavors and some Longer finishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment