Wednesday, March 31, 2010

New Belgium 2 Degrees Below


Here we have the first up of our non North Carolina beers, 2 Degrees Below. This is a winter ale from New Belgium Brewing of Fort Collins Colorado. 2 Degrees pours out a nice classic amber color. It really hits you on the nose, with toffee, tootsie roll, and spice. One of the more intriguing smelling beers I have experienced. Let's have a taste, shall we. Oh my, It's a bitter blast of hop up front, way more than I expected. There's an awful lot on the finish too. Luckily, there are also some nice flavors in here. There's a nice sweetness and a slightly burnt toffee flavor. After a couple sips the jarring bitterness up front tends to fade, which makes it smoother and easier to drink. This is a nice beer, but a little disappointing. I got so much on the nose, but the hops tended to overwhelm the other flavors. I sense a rant in my future, but not yet, not yet. This is obviously quality stuff ,but they missed the mark a bit here. they need to change the hop ratios or bring some more malt up to meet them. I hope to see more from these guys next time. Oh yeah, we just found those shells on the beach today, never seen so many perfect shells.

http://www.newbelgium.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment