Friday, May 7, 2010

Southern Tier " Iniquity " Black Ale


Another entry from New York's Southern Tier Brewery, " Iniquity " Black Ale. I have to say I like that name, and am very fond of black ales, so I can't wait to try it. Well, it pours out a dark brown, it's really not black or even that dark a brown. The nose is very yeasty with some mocha and medium hop tones. The flavor has mild mocha and caramel with a smoky note. A fair amount of hop bitterness pervades throughout. It's a little hoppier than most black beers, but I felt the balance was alright. There may be a bit much on the finish though. There's good body here and a rich mouth feel. It also kicks up the alcohol at 8.9%. It's a little expensive at 6 bucks a bottle, but it's a big bottle and it's chock full of alcohol. So it 's actually not to bad considering what you get. Now, if you try to sell me a low alcohol beer for 6 bucks, I'll spit in your face. Both these Southern Tier beers were good , but not great. I feel there is room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment