Friday, May 14, 2010

Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter


This is the last of the three porters we're exploring. This imperial, usually meaning higher alcohol, porter is from local brewery, Flying Dog. This sure sounds like a winner, porter with more delicious alcohol. But I've been let down before. Gonzo pours out black as pitch, and has sweet caramel, mocha, yeast and a background hop bitter. The flavor is mocha and coffee with lots of hop bitterness up front and on the finish. This is strong stuff. The flavors are a bit too strong, especially the hops which tend to drown the other flavors. The finish is all bitter, leaving that lingering bitter aftertaste. I'm really not feeling this stuff. It's a chore to drink. It's heavy has a lousy aftertaste and it's expensive. I'm really disappointed, and I can't see ever buying this again. I 'm not even going to bother finishing it, a first. Well that's three porters and I have clear favorites. The Kona is easily the best, with the vanilla porter second and the Gonzo terrible. Next I'm gonna try a few randos.

No comments:

Post a Comment