Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Rant: Let Us Return To Sanity


I have tried way too many beers recently, that have been really unbalanced on the hop side. Now I like hops and have been favorable to beers that were on the pretty hoppy side. But let's be honest , this a totally new and artificial creation. Not many years ago, you could not find any beers, period, with near the level of hops that alot of beers now have. I guess this all started with the deliberately Over hopped beers, such as your Hop Pocket etc. These beers are totally fine with me, and are novelty beers like, blueberry beer, or Garlic beer. I really like all the novelty styles. They are also important to the development of brewing, and some I believe find their way into the cannon of styles. But, this extreme hopping has worked it's way insidiously into all kinds of beer. I had a porter the other day that was so over-hopped I couldn't detect the malts, that's insane. I also had an IPA that took the hops so far as to make the beer taste like peppermint gum and Christmas tree. Not a little bit, I mean take a small branch, wrap it with 10 sticks of gum and chew. Beer should be about balance, you can put a lot of hop in a beer and still make the flavors harmonize, but it,s not about that. It's about more for more's sake. Let us return to sanity. I really should have a lot more ranting but I'm at the beach, so I can't really get up for it . Next some more North Carolina beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment