Friday, August 6, 2010

Wacko vs Summer Solstice


Of all the summer beers I tried only two stood out to me as interesting or even any good. Wacko, a beet beer, from Magic Hat and Anderson Valley's Summer Solstice. These are both beers you should go out and try, but there can be only one. Wacko still pours out pink and has heavy caramels, a hint of beet and some sweet hop on the nose. Solstice is copper to light brown and has some mocha and citrus with its caramels. But how does it taste you ask? The Wacko is strong on the lush caramels, with a hint of mocha and honeyed beet. There is something here that just works. Balance between sweet and bitter, etc. What about the Solstice. Wow, chocolate, caramel, and a milky, creamy flavor. There's also a nice hop bite that lingers, but is not at all bitter. This beer is full of yum and really different in a very good way. Same can be said of the Wacko. I'm gonna start hitting these sip for sip. Both these beers stand up well to one another, but the Solstice is so good and really unique. I think the Solstice is the clear winner for me. However, I could tip either of these back all day long. Of the other summer beer, the Blackberry Witt and Odd Notion #10 were pretty decent and the Summerfest was O.K. The rest sucked.I hate you summer beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment