Sunday, August 22, 2010

Lagunitas Lucky 13

      For my 100th post I was looking for something interesting to try.  Lucky 13 seemed to fit the bill.  My first child was born on the 13th and I've always seen it as a lucky number.  It also has 8.3% ABV which I also consider lucky.  Lucky pours out a very orange clear amber and has a pleasant strong herbal hop nose.  There's some caramel and citrus under there as well.  There be some monster hop here.  There's a strong hop presence forward, getting stronger, than opening up a bit to reveal the malts, herb and citrus.  The hop on the finish builds as well, and gets really strong.  Wow, that dumps a lot of bitter in the back of the mouth.  However, the high alcohol really comes through giving it a nice mouth feel.  I like this despite it's massive hops and it does tone down a bit as you drink it.  This one is rescued by the big alcohol and nice body which offset the hops.  Leaving you with a good overall drinking experience.                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment