Saturday, July 17, 2010

Summer Beers:Beach House vs Rope Swing


Aaawwwww, look at that both these beers have cutesy summer themed names. Isn't that precious. Anyway we have two summer pilsners here, Old Dominion Beach House and Red Hook Rope Swing. Beach House pours a slightly cloudy straw with herbal hop, caramel sweetness and a bit of yeast. Rope Swing is a clear straw with fresh sweet caramel and a tinge of hop on the nose. Now the taste test. Wow, The House has really strong hop, that would put an IPA to shame. This has that huge herbal, pine tree flavor that has ruined other beers for me. No other flavors here, just bitter herb that ruins your mouth forever. Hateful. O.K. The Swing has some hop crispness, but you can also taste some honey, caramel and citrus The hop is more forceful on the finish. Seems balanced and refreshing. Actually, the more I drink The Swing, The House just got poured down the sink, the less I like it. Perhaps The House ruined it for me, but I'm getting an unpleasant aftertaste. The last sips of The Swing and I guess it's decent, but I would never buy it again, there's so much better out there. Well these summer beers have been huge disappointments. Did I mention summer beers generally suck. If you see Beach House shun it like a plague victim. Rope Swing you can merely pass by. Both these beers are out.

No comments:

Post a Comment