Friday, July 9, 2010

Pike Stout



Boy, I have been a big fan of the Pike beers I have had so far. I sure hope this is another winner it looks right up my ally. It pours out black as pitch and has a strong bitter black coffee nose with a touch of mocha and hop. Wow, this stuff has very, very strong flavors. Tons of, I mean TONS of very bitter coffee flavor. At first I thought they were killing this beer with hops, but I think the malts are so darkly roasted, that its off the charts bitter. There's a really smoky, burnt flavor here, but not in a good way. You could taste this for hours in your mouth. I love big, bold flavors and I love coffee, but this is just too much. You can't even discern the 7% alcohol. You probably could not tell, until later, if it was double that. I would call this a failure as it's nearly undrinkable, but it fails in the direction of being too bold and I'll give them props for that. Skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment