Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer Beers: Wacko vs Odd Notion #10


Both of these beers are from the pot smoking hippies at Magic Hat. Wacko is a summer ale made with beet juice. Yes, I said beet juice. Odd Notion #10, I hated #9, is an ale made with ginger. Both are pretty wacky styles, but are they any good? Wacko pours out a pale pink. Yes, I said a pale pink. It has earthy caramel, a nice stringent hop and a hint of beet. # 10 is a slightly cloudy straw with a caramel, strong crisp hop and dry ginger nose. The Wacko is very crisp and refreshing. It has nice caramels, tingly hops throughout and a pleasant sweetness. This is really good stuff, I could get my beet on all day long. # 10 is like a ginger beer except with the alcohol. There's hop and caramels here, but the dominant force is the ginger. It really lingers on the palate. This is a nice beer, but I couldn't imagine having more than one, the flavor is really strong. Though I bet there are some amazing food pairing possibilities out there. Still the Wacko is really good and dominates this pairing. The # 10 is a novelty beer. On to the next pairing.

No comments:

Post a Comment