Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

      Pumpkin Ales have become a staple of the Fall, and this is a very good thing.  The first time I had a pumpkin beer I knew it was a legitimate style not just some novelty beer.  Now almost everyone makes a pumpkin beer these days.  I'm gonna try a bunch and see which one's are good.  First up is Pumpkinhead Ale from the Shipyard Brewing Company out of Portland, Oregon,Maine.  It pours out a light gold with a very spicy nose.  Classic pumpkin pie spice, heavy on the cinnamon.  The flavor is big on the spice, especially the cinnamon and clove, but there's good pumpkin flavor here.  That's what I like in pumpkin beers.  I have a fever, and the only prescription, is more pumpkin.  This I like,  the spice and pumpkin get along nicely, we call that balance.  This beer has it.  A good first entry and a nice way to enjoy your fall.  Makes me want to try their other beers. A winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment